- Stay at the Historic Rapids Lodge (est. 1915). Some rooms are dog-friendly.
- Dine at the famous Rapids Restaurant.
- Walk the “Old West” Town of Grand Lake. Enjoy shops, restaurants and breathtaking scenery.
- The Grand Lake sledding hill is fun for the whole family – it’s fast!
- Ice-fish the frozen lakes. Guided outings available. Contests are fun to enter too.
- Snowmobile +/-150 miles of groomed trails or go off trail in the Arapaho National Forest (guided and unguided). The views are astounding. Grand Lake is known as the “Snowmobile Capital of Colorado”. Ride right from your room at the Rapids Lodge.
- Visit the Grand Lake Nordic Center: snowshoe, cross-country ski or have fun on the tubing hill. Equipment rental is available if you don’t have your own.
- Explore Rocky Mountain National Park: snowshoe or cross-country ski the park trails.
- Wildlife and bird-watching is a must. Seeing a moose is always a highlight.
- Take a short walk to the frozen Adams Falls.
- Treat yourself to a relaxing massage.
- Take a magical Sleigh Ride.
- Don’t miss the ice skating rink at the Grand Lake Center.
- Visit Hot Sulphur Springs and enjoy 21 outdoor pools.
- Try the Rocky Mountain Lockdown Escape Room.
Looking for a fun or new experience this month? Look no further! You don’t need to be an expert, you just need to be ready to have fun! January 25-27 is the 31st Annual 3 Lakes Ice-Fishing Tournament and the Rapids Lodge is the perfect place to stay. We have small rooms just for one or bring your friends and family and stay in one of our Rapids Suites (some dog-friendly) that sleep 6-7 people; or River View Condo that sleeps 4-8 people.
Prize Packages are awesome and details are posted on the Granby Chamber of Commerce website. You can also sign up there! The first 500 entrants will receive a hat as a reminder of this great experience! Under 17’s that pay to enter are eligible for cash prizes! If the cash prize isn’t a big deal, a 17 and under entrant is free. Contests begin at 6:40 am each day.
Grand County is quite stunning and the views from frozen Lake Granby will astound you. There is always some shopping, sledding, ice-skating and more to keep folks who don’t fish, entertained.
This is one of the best Ice-Fishing tournaments in Colorado. Don’t miss it!
It’s January and we have months of winter fun still to be had. February and March will bring warmer, longer days and that is always a plus when you are outdoors in the snow. Think outside the box for Spring Break in Colorado.
A winter family reunion is a great idea! One family has been our guests every New Year’s for over 20 years! Most folks wait until summer but there are two good, long weekend opportunities in the form of Martin Luther King Weekend and Presidents Day weekend. Family activities include snowshoe and cross country ski outings, ice fishing, snowmobiling, sleigh rides and more. Kids love to learn how to snowshoe and cross country ski; it is challenging and novel, especially when interspersed with tubing or sledding and hot cocoa by a fireplace. Outdoor winter activities can offer a unique opportunity for family camaraderie and bonding. Great photo memories too. Imagine throwing the Grand Lake Winter Carnival or 3 Lakes Ice Fishing Contest into the mix!
Winter Weddings, Winter Weekends away, Valentine’s Day, Spring Break, Winter Anniversary Celebrations and Birthdays ….. who needs an excuse to come up to the Rapids Lodge in Grand Lake, Colorado!