Spring starts late in the higher elevations of the Rockies. May is when it all begins: the last of the lake ice melts, grass is green and flowers brighten the landscape. Aspen trees bud out and animal babies arrive. If you are thinking of a spring trip to the Colorado mountains, there is plenty to do!
The Rapids Lodge has low season rates in effect until June 9th, 2016 and this means that you can stay as low as $60 for 2 people and $89 for up to 6 people. Some accommodations are pet-friendly too.
- Hike Rocky Mountain National Park.
- Watch the baby elk in the meadows at dawn and dusk.
- Keep an eye out for foxes, coyotes, moose, porcupines, deer, marmots, pine martens and weasels. Of course squirrels and cute chipmunks are everywhere!
- Enjoy lunch Riverside at the Rapids.
- Take a canoe, pontoon or fishing boat out on any of the three lakes
- Kids get to have fun at Rocky Mountain Speedway and the min-golf at the hardware store.
- Play the Grand Lake Gold Course.
- Fly fish the Colorado River
- Soak at Hot Sulphur Springs
- Float up above the valley in a hot air balloon
- Rent an ATV or bring your own.
- Grill out at Point Park and enjoy a breathtaking view of Grand Lake and Mount Baldy.
- Test your Bingo skills in town on the weekend.
- Attend a Rocky Mountain Repertory Theatre performance after dinner at The Rapids
- Birdwatch mountain, meadow and lake environments.
- Revel in the rivers rushing by full of spring snowmelt
- Drive Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park – the highest continuous highway in the United States.
- There is never a dull moment in Grand Lake Colorado!
Mother’s Day at the Rapids Lodge and Restaurant!
Sunday May 8th, 2016
History Chat: Early Days of Grand County EMS with Ida Sheriff and Tim Nicklas.
Learn about the needs and history of Emergency Management in Grand County. Meet the first certified EMT in Grand County, Mrs. Ida Sheriff.
Tuesday May 17, 2016
Juniper Library Progressive Dinner
Wednesday May 25, 2016
“Around Granby” History Book Signing
The area around Granby was developed in the late 1800s and today remain
Friday and Saturday May 27 + 28, 2016
Memorial Day Weekend
Stay at the Rapids Lodge!
Grand Lake Memorial Day Parade
Monday May 30, 2016
Bingo in Town Park with the Rotary Club of Grand Lake
Saturday and Sunday May 28 + 29, 2016
Grand Lake Golf Tournament
9am – 2pm. 970-627-8008
Saturday June 11, 2016
Birds of the Kawuneechee
All day birding excursion. 970-586-3262
Saturday June 11, 2016
Art and Crafts Fair
Saturday Jun 11, 2016 – Sunday Jun 12, 2016
BINGO Every Friday and Saturday 7pm
Ride the Rockies
Wednesday June 15 and Thursday June 16, 2016
2nd Annual Duck Derby
Race your rubber duck! Fundraiser.
Saturday June 18, 2016
Learn about the hummingbird populations in the Rockies while observing field ornithologists as they safely capture and band these remarkable birds. 970-586-3262
Monday June 20, 2016
Secret Places is RMNP – Colorado River
Friday June 24, 2016
Songwriters in the Round
with Nashville songwriters, Monty Powell, Anna Wilson and Peggy Mann.
Friday June 24th
33rd Annual State of Colorado CASI Chili Cook Off 2016
Saturday Jun 25, 2016
Painting the Kawuneeche: Beginners Class
Saturday Jun 25, 2016 – Sunday Jun 26, 2016
Diversity in Wildflowers
Thursday June 30, 2016